Lefse and Looking For Inspiration

I'm going on some new meds and I need 72 hours to determine if they will have a negative effect on me with respect to doing my air traffic control duties. The only thing having a negative effect upon me doing my ATC duties (read attitude) lately is management but with respect to my meds, so far so good. Unfortunately, my Saturday night shift will be swallowed up by the 72 hour test period. So sad.

Tammy and her aunt Joyce are making lefse, a Norwegian potato roll-up. I asked them if it was considered a pastry, dessert, delicacy or main dish but they weren't sure. It's something that Norwegians typically make in November and December. I'm sort of lukewarm to Lefse. They're okay but I need lots of sugar on them for me to say that.

We're thinking of checking out the ice sculptures at the Winter Carnival tomorrow. We're supposed to finally be out of the deep freeze we've been in for the past month. I can't remember a winter as snowy and cold as this one. I'll refrain from the global warming comments.

I spent a good part of yesterday at the drawing board laying down some initial designs for the panels in our basement entertainment center. This project has me stymied more than any other project has but I think I'm warming up to some ideas. From early on I've wanted to do a combination of Frank Lloyd Wright and Art Nouveau. I'd never seen those two ideas merged together but Tom has turned me on to some early 1900s architects/artists who did exactly that.

Louis Sullivan, William Gray Purcell, and George Grant Elmslie were part of a movement in the midwest which embraced a simple, clean approach to design during a time when the emphasis was still on traditional European Victorian styles. Their work along with some of their contemporaries brought about the Prairie style look. Along with that look was often a simple stained glass style which Frank Lloyd Wright made his signature style.

Frank Lloyd Wright was actually a protege of Sullivan's for five years.

Along with the clean lines in their stained glass work was oftentimes a bit of Art Nouveau and that's the look I'm after. Tom turned me on to an excellent book titled At Home on the Prairie The Houses of Purcell & Elmslie by Dixie Legler and Christian Korab from which I hope to be able to get some inspiration.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss