25 or 6 to 4...

...did you ever wonder what the lyrics meant? Wonder no more.

Mom celebrated her 82nd birthday last week and I don't think the significance of that day was lost on anyone close to her. With the deteriorating trend of her heart's health, I think there's little chance that she'll live to see another. I'd love to be wrong.

Jackie and Jerry invited the family over to their home last Sunday to celebrate with Mom. It was an especially nice time and the weather couldn't have been better. Not everyone chose to be there for her and that to me was unfortunate.

Some day I'll expand here on the dynamics of my family, but not now.

I brought our pups with me and they had a free-for-all in the backyard with Gracie, Tucker, Nell, and Diesel.

Whenever there's a get-together at Jerry and Jackie's, you can be sure that you're in for some fantastic eats and this day was no exception. Jackie is without question the Martha Stewart of our family and I mean that in the nicest of ways. I'll typically starve myself in preparation for a visit to see them. I actually invited Rachel and me to their home last Thanksgiving because Tammy had to work and Rachel and I were left to fend for ourselves. With their help, I thought we fended quite well.

I catch my share of grief when I pull out my camera(s) at these events but I do it with an eye to the future so myself and others can look back on these days and remember more clearly what they were like.

Photos on Flickr

Video (abbreviated)

Video (extended)

While uploading photos of the party to Facebook I noticed that Facebook now allows for high-resolution photos. They're not actually high res but they're better than their default/standard option. Additionally, YouTube recently lifted its 10-minute video limit and now accepts videos up to 15 minutes long.

Our warm weather streak continues with the temp likely pushing beyond 70f today. I'm going to leave my bike sidelined this afternoon and spend a few hours putting up our outdoor Christmas lights. I could actually use a break from riding as I've been hitting it pretty hard for so late in the season. I'd love to be out riding today but I want to make sure that my appetite for riding is always wanting. There was a time not long ago when I'd lost some of my desire and I don't want that to happen again. Burning out on something so important to me isn't good.

The guys at work will no doubt agree that I've been practicing moderation in the workplace for a while.

Getting back to song lyrics: what about the Pompatus of Love as sung about by Steve Miller in The Joker?  There's an answer for that, too.

Tammy just phoned me. She's at the park with the pups and telling me how beautiful a day it is outside. She couldn't understand why I wasn't intending to ride after work and encouraged me to get out and enjoy what daylight I could. Maybe I shouldn't disappoint her.

Comments

Jackie said…
It was a wonderful time Kevin and so glad you do put all of these occasions down for us to enjoy in the years to come. I know I love to re-watch the videos of Dad and to hear his voice. Thanks for being there on such a special day. Thanksgiving is always open to any of you! Just give us notice. We would love to have you!


Jackie

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss