I'm Declaring War!

I mentioned Spotify in a recent post. I'm even more of a believer in this music program now than I was a couple weeks ago. I enjoy getting suggestions from friends which is one of the features of Spotify. Listening to a track that you like and want to share with a someone? Drag the track over their username located on the right side of the player and they'll receive the notification and a link to your suggestion. Just that simple—but they need to be a Spotify user as well.

We both struggled to try to blow glass this week. Some sessions are like that so you make the most of learning from your mistakes. There's never a lack of those. I had a three-gather vase take a dive off the punty onto the concrete floor but survive the landing. Together we were able to re-punty and salvage it. I tried to fire-polish out whatever scuff marks it picked up but I'm thinking it may be a candidate for my first attempt at a sandblasted finish to help hide any remaining marks. There's a sandblasting booth in the cold shop at Foci.

Tammy's focus has been on bowls lately and it's beginning to show. The photo to the left is of one of them. The blue is so beautiful in the sunlight.

It's that time of year again: I'm declaring war on leaves! I filled our two 65 gallon compost bins with leaves yesterday, even getting inside the bins to smash them down to make room for more. I then proceeded to fill another 20 leaf bags to go out with the trash on Tuesday. Before and after. And this is just the beginning as most of the leaves are still on our trees. Ten years ago Tammy talked me into buying a John Deere riding lawnmower. This is the time of year when I'm most glad I did as it makes pretty quick work of leaves. Still, I dread the work.

I was playing with my Droid Bionic a few nights ago and found an air traffic control game called Air Control. It's actually a lot of fun. In the hour I've spent playing it I've reached the rank of Captain with 111 planes landed in one session before suffering a mid-air collision that stops the game. I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that there are actually some similarities to the game and the actual job in that you've got to have a good scan as well as a plan to keep them separated. Check it out.

We've had some fantastic October weather for doing just about anything outdoors with temps in the 80s most of the week but it's been much drier than I like. I managed to make it out for a few nice rides even though the winds were at times so strong that it got a little dicey. Still, it was nice to feel the heat of the sun on me in a big way so late in the season.

I'm not sure how many longish rides I have left in me this year but hopefully at least a few. I hadn't done the Henderson loop (101 miles) in a while so I was happy to be able to do that at least one last time before it's not practical due to cooler temps and less daylight. One of my favorite stretches of highway is county road 40 between Carver and Henderson following the Minnesota River a few miles west of 169. Not much traffic, a nice road surface and rolling terrain make it ideal for cycling. It's the sort of stuff I find myself daydreaming about in the dead of winter.


Comments

Michelle said…
Hi just stumbled upon your blog as I was ....stumbling upon blogs :) I wondered what type of video camera you are using for your videos? Im at funk-e-fragmentz.blogspot.com I enjoyed reading your journal and watching your video of the mudfest! that was great. Thanks, Michelle
Kevin Gilmore said…
Hi and thanks. I use a few different cameras for my videos. On my bike I'm using my Droid Bionic. Otherwise I used either a Panasonic Lumix LX5 or a 10 year old Sony Handycam. The Sony does a really nice job especially for concerts but it's not always easy to sneak inside so I don't use it that often anymore.

Thanks for stopping by!

Kevin
Marielle said…
Spotify rocks!! Is it from Sweden? ;)

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss