Back in the Saddle Again and Creepy Zombie Daughter

My recovery from my crash has advanced a long way in the last week, so much so that I was able to get out and ride on Friday afternoon and again Saturday morning. I'm just soft-pedaling for the most part but it's good just to be riding. I can't very easily get out of the saddle and pedal yet because of some lingering pain when I push it but I'm okay if I stay seated. It took me at least a couple of years to be totally comfortable on my bike after my last crash (insert shameless Judge Judy appearance video here) but I don't sense that that's going to be a problem this time. I'm feeling quite fine already.

My main injury was to my sacroiliac joint on my left side. My chiropractor explained how it's a joint with a lot of nerves from the spinal cord in close relation to it. Most of his adjustments have focused on my lower back in addition to a couple of sessions (so far) of acupuncture targeting the area. I wasn't sure what to think after my first experience with the needles because I didn't notice any relief at all from my pain but after the second session I was a believer. I noticed the relief a couple hours later after going home and laying down. There was an obvious lessening of the pain I'd been feeling when I got up off the couch.

This is the time of year I most dread when it comes to yard work. I've got most of our gardens cleared out and our hostas and other perennials cut back but there's still a ton of leaves yet to come down. I set out 23 bags of compost (in addition to our two 60 gallon compost containers) this past week to be taken away by our trash hauler. I'm sure he hates me.

Other than that, I love fall. Did I mention I'm back on my bike again?

Tammy and I were discussing retirement the other day. I'd like for her to be able to call it quits before I do so she's making plans to be done this coming spring. We sat down on the couch and penciled in some budget numbers the other day. I shouldn't be too far behind her. We're due to lose a good percentage of our controller workforce in the area where I work traffic within the next year with half of us being eligible to retire. It's going to be much more difficult to get time off and yeah, sector time is going to increase substantially. I don't mind working but the lure of being someplace else when I no longer need to be there will eventually win out.

I got a photo text from Rachel yesterday as she was preparing for the Zombie Pub Crawl in Minneapolis. Costuming is one of her strong points! She and friend Maddy went as Viking Zombies. Very convincing I'd say!

I posted this link on my Facebook page a few days ago. I find it fascinating to see how tiny we really are in relation to all that's out there. It's impossible for me to try and comprehend the vastness of the universe and so I really don't ponder it that deeply anymore. I remember as a kid I'd try and imagine how space beyond our atmosphere goes on and on without end as I'd contemplate infinity. It would cause my brain to go into overload so I stopped doing that.

These days I'm much more inclined to think about riding my bike. Did I mention that I'm riding again?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss