New Normals

My routine in the morning is to get up and let the dogs out first thing before feeding them. Toby and Allie are pretty quick to jump out of bed but not nearly as fast as Charlie. He's on the floor spinning circles in excitement waiting for them. They race down the stairs and out into the front yard where they quickly do their business before hurrying in to be fed. The other morning, Charlie was as excited as ever to eat. He ran inside and when Toby and Allie were too slow making their way back into the house he ran out onto the front porch while I waited there with the door open. He let out a big "woof" in their direction as if to say "c'mon...hurry it up!" before running back inside. It was so funny. He's such a character.

We picked up Mom on Monday afternoon and took her out for a late lunch at Olive Garden. I should clarify; we only drove. She insisted on paying the bill with a combination of a gift card from Bryan and Sue and her own money.

She doesn't get out very much anymore it seems unless it's for a doctor's appointment. Since losing the vision in her right eye she's become so much less ambulatory. She uses a walker now but she'll still try and get by with just her cane. We insist she use her walker when we take her out—if for no other reason than to get her accustomed to using it. She simply can't afford to fall. It has to be so hard for her considering how active she used to be up until just a couple of years ago.

We had a very nice time.

Tammy made a quick trip up north to put some finishing touches on our plans to bring her mother down to live with us beginning in a few weeks. I think she pretty much has everything in order. A more giving person than Tammy I'm not aware of. She's so looking forward to having Elaine in our home and engaging her with crafts and conversation and taking her places. So am I.

Rachel spent Thursday night with us. We uncorked some wine and watched an episode of Parenthood while we chatted. There's always so much to catch up on with each other. I love our time together.

Tammy has a few weeks left in her Guardianship class through Hennepin County. It's a lot more rigorous than I think she figured it would be but she's enjoying it and learning a lot. She hopes to eventually volunteer her services to one or two people once she's certified. Having her mother come to stay with us wasn't in the plans when she signed up for the class so it may be something she'll have to put on hold while she cares for Elaine. We'll see.

I got out yesterday morning for a loop to Jordan before heading in to work. I'm still trying to adjust to my new normal with my sorer than normal knees. I'm managing. Tammy has been encouraging me to go in for another Synvisc (hyaluronic acid) injection but I'd like to hold off and see if I can get by without it for this year. Being slower than I'm used to is tough to accept but then I think about how I could easily be adjusting to life without my lower left leg and my pity-party comes to an abrupt halt.

It's all about perspective.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss