I Need a Vacation From My Retirement!

I posted to Facebook last night before going to bed: "I think I need a vacation from my retirement. Is that possible?". I can't seem to get enough of a good thing and find myself as active as I'd ever imagined I could be in retirement. Each night when my head hits the pillow I'm exhausted and pretty much nod off within minutes if not seconds. I recall having thoughts of getting a kayak or a stand-up paddleboard not that long ago but as much as I'd like to, I don't see how I could fit those activities into my routine. I'd have to cut back on my golfing, biking or walking and I'd rather not. It's a nice problem to have.

We finally made it down to Rochester to meet up with Rachel to take in the sights, sounds, and tastes of Thursdays on First and 3rd. The weather could've been nicer (it was drizzling) but we still enjoyed our time together.

Tammy and I celebrated 17 years of marriage a few days ago. We like to tell others that we're pioneers of the internet dating scene. Several years ago I wrote about how our lives came to be one: here's a link to that 4 part series. There was little to no hesitation then nor would there be today if either of us had it to do all over again.

I have one more session with my physical therapist for my golf injury before she turns me loose. This has been by far the most beneficial PT I've ever done. Lana has been so helpful in getting me back on the course again. The injury would've healed all on its own but she's helped me with stretches and a better setup to help prevent a recurrence. There are no guarantees but I feel I'm so much better off from her guidance.

My Garmin Edge 705 has served me well for more than 7 years and it's still working fine but I've taken the leap into the newest generation of cyclo-computer technology and am now the proud owner of a Garmin Edge 820. These little gadgets have come a long way since the days when I first began riding seriously and wanted to track my mileage. Where it all began for me.

I've only had it out on the road for two rides but I couldn't be more impressed with the data it's providing me. I'll talk more about it in a later post after I've had a chance to become more familiar with it. I know y'all can't wait for that!

Last Friday I took part in the annual Sick Leave Open golf tournament at Montgomery National Golf Club. The tournament organizer (one of the guys I used to work with—Ken Sargent) gives special consideration in the form of a reduced entry fee to any controller taking a sick-day to participate. I'm not sure if anyone qualified for the reduced rate this year because for most of us participating, our sick-leave days are behind us.

I was informed just as soon as I arrived with my clubs loaded onto my pushcart that nobody has ever not ridden a cart in the tournament. They can no longer say that.

I had a blast!

I was teamed up with Pat Parker and Lyle Madsen. We did well. We tied for 1st but through a predetermined 'scorecard playoff' we had to settle for 2nd place. I snagged the prize for the longest putt made. I'll definitely be a regular at this event in years to come and yes, I'll be pushing my cart as long as I'm able to.

I better run. I've got another full day ahead of me. A dental appointment followed by a round of golf at Crystal Lake and then I'll be hurrying to meet up with Keith McKay (we worked together years ago but he's now in El Paso, Texas) and a few others at Mall of America for dinner and maybe a beverage or two.

Comments

Steve Saeedi said…
If you ever have questions about your new Garmin acquisition, let me know!
Kevin Gilmore said…
I will do that, Steve. It's considerably smaller compared to my Edge 705 and that's a bonus. One thing I noticed on last night's ride was that the virtual partner would reset after each lap. I'm not sure if there's a way to override that so it's competing against my ride as a whole. I'm still very new to it.

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss