A Follow-up, a Small Goal Achieved and Counting Steps

I received a response a few days ago from the police officer who did the follow-up on the close call I had with an aggressive driver two weeks ago. He wrote:

"We do take reports like yours seriously. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a little while for a follow up. I was able to contact the driver tonight and had a lengthy conversation with the person. Hopefully that was the last time that driver has done it. Seemed to be understanding. And I stressed the fact that while I cannot give a citation for this incident, it has been documented and will be on the driver’s record.

Please let us know if anything else happens on the road.

Thank you,

Vadim Romanets"

That's really all I was hoping for—that he'd have a talk with the driver and put a note in his file so if something like this happens again it may result in more serious consequences.

I got some pretty cool fat-bike decals in the mail for the back of my car. You should get some too. Here's a link to 719 Designs where you can order them.

I don't have a lot of goals these days but I do make up a few as I go. One of my goals (going back months) was to be the last guy to walk off the course at Crystal Lake Golf Course this year on the last day of play. And I was. I had sorta given up on that goal last week when my road bike became my focus. I thought I was done golfing for the year and had even put my clubs away but as our warm weather persisted and the last day of play arrived, I cut my ride short, tossed my golf gear in the car and off I went.

I caught up with Mark and Andrew (I'd met them earlier in the season on the course) on the 6th tee and we finished out the front 9 together. They left for home and I pressed on in the dimming afternoon light, certain there was no way I was going to finish the full 18 holes but I was fine with that.

It had only been a week since I'd played but already there were noticeable changes on the course. Several trees which guard the approach to the 13th green had been taken out and I was disappointed to see that. They gave the hole character and often came into play. The 13th hole used to be the 2nd most difficult hole on the course but not anymore.

By the time I got to the 16th tee the sun was down and the overcast sky rendered any lingering light useless. I was able to see my ball leave the clubhead but that was all. I never found it. I made my way to my car and as I walked off the course I looked back to take this photo, and yes, I was the last one out there. Goal accomplished.

I won't have a membership to only Crystal Lake next year. Instead, I'll have a membership with Public Country Club which will give me unlimited play at more than 16 different courses with Crystal Lake and Southern Hills being part of the plan. More courses will be added for 2017. I'm going to enjoy having a little more variety, plus, it's cheaper than a membership exclusive to Crystal Lake. I've already signed up. I was told they limit memberships and I didn't want to be left out. The only restriction to play with PCC is between the hours of 7 and 11 on Saturday and Sunday mornings—that's not a problem for me.

Since purchasing my Garmin Forerunner 235 last spring, I've been enjoying the weekly step challenges they offer online with other Garmin users. They place me in a group with 9 others who walk or run a similar amount of steps as I walk each week and we compete against each other to see who steps the most. I went from worst to first this past week. I finished strong with 33,000 steps on Saturday and a record (for me) 40,487 steps on Sunday. All of my step data is tracked and I'm notified of milestones along the way. I'm closing in on 2.5 million steps since I've been tracking my progress.

We'll be going to Trinity Care Center in Farmington to have Thanksgiving dinner with Tammy's mother on Thursday and then we'll have our own Thanksgiving dinner at our home on Friday. Claudia and Dublin will be here as will Tammy's sister, Cindy and possibly one other person we've invited.

Wishes for a happy and safe Thanksgiving to you all.

Comments

steve c said…
Happy thanksgiving to you and your families.
As we reflect and give thanks to gifts in our lives, I want to let you know how grateful I am to have you Tammy in my life. Live life, love life to you and Tammy
Kevin Gilmore said…
Such kind words, Steve. We feel the same about you and Anna. Be well and we'll be in touch.

Popular posts from this blog

David Crowder Concert, NWA188 and Photo Review

Riding, Retirement and a Home Revisited

A Tragic Loss